Equipment ListDifferent job's require different tools. For this reason I designed my systems in a modular form. This allows me to combine elements into a system optimized for the particular need. In general terms, the modules are..
This approach provides great flexibility to handle various needs. I can configure a pure location recording system including 24 channels of high quality mic preamp's, redundant recorders, an arsenal of very high quality microphones and extensive monitoring capabilites or a hybrid live sound/recording system built around a Presonus Studiolive 24 channel digital mixer, redundant recorders, full remote control mixer operation via iPad on a secure wireless network, dual JBL 18" sub's driven by a 2300 watt Crest power amp and dual Mackie SRM450 powered main monitors. Either system can use the extended monitoring rack. The studio deskside system is custom built and used for final editing, mixdown and mastering. It's specs are described in detail below
- 24 channels of rack mounted mic pre's that provide simultaneous analog and ADAT digital outputs
- 24 channel Presonus Studiolive digital mixer (this can provide simultaneous analog and firewire digital outs)
- Custom built i7 laptop recording to a 60gig solid state hard drive (this can attach to either the rack mounted mic pre's or the Studiolive mixer)
- Alesis HD24XR direct to hard disk digital recorder (this can also attach to either the rack mounted mic pre's or the Studiolive direct outs)
- Extended monitoring rack. This can accept both ADAT digital or analog feeds and provides both green room monitoring (Crown D75 pwr amp and small nearfield monitors) as well as multiple independant headphone mixes (up to 8). This extended monitoring rack can be used with either the rack mounted mic pre's or the Studiolive.
All of the systems are designed to be powerful, modular and interchangeable. The extended monitoring rack can be used with the pure recording only rig or with the live sound/recording rig or in the studio. The digital audio recorders can be used with all of the systems and extensive redundancy is designed into the system to insure that I can capture the performance.
Mobile Recording System Diagram
Mobile Recording System
Mic preamp rack, backup recorder rack and primary recording laptop.
Extended Monitoring Rack
- Custom built ADK 7600 Intel i7 audio/DAW laptop. Ultra quiet, 17" screen, 8 gig of RAM. A monster laptop that leaps giant buildings in a single bound!
- External SATA solid state hard drive for digital audio. Silent and deadly fast!
- CUBASE digital audio recording software (various versions)
- REAPER digital audio recording software
- Alesis HD24XR- 24 track digital recorder (the XR version includes the extremely high quality A/D/A convertors for pristine audio quality)
- Various audio processing software
- RME Digiface ADAT lightpipe audio interface with RME HDSP express card. This is one of the fastest, most stable and reliable audio interfaces available.
- 2 Focusrite Octopre II mic preamps (16 channels of very clean mic pre's)
- Steinberg MR816x 8 channel mic pre-amp/audio interface (mic pre's are by Yamaha and are said to be some of the best they've ever designed)
- Presonus Studiolive 24.4.2 digital mixer (this is one of the most powerful and flexible digital mixers available today with 24 channels of great mic preamps)
- ART HeadampPro6 6 channel headphone amp
- Behringer ADA8000 A/D, D/A converter and mic pre (used for digital to analog conversion in the extended monitoring rack)
- Crown D75A power amp
- ART S8 8 channel transformer isolated mic splitter
- AKG C-414 XL2 microphones (matched stereo pair)
- Audio Technica 4033 CL condensor microphones (2)
- Shure SM81 condensor microphones (4)
- RODE NT-5 microphones (2)
- Fathead II ribbon microphones (matched stereo pair)
- Shure Beta87 condensor microphone
- Shure SM57 dynamic mics (5)
- Shure SM58 dynamic mics (5)
- AKG D-112 kick drum mic
- Audio Technica N-DYM 47 dynamic mic
- AKG Perception 220 condensor mic
- Sennheiser e914 condensor mic
- Audix DM5 drum mic set (Audix i5 snare mic (x2), D6 kick mic, D2 rack tom (x2), D4 floor tom)
- Multiple Countryman Isomax lavalier microphones
- Oktava MC012 condensor mic's (cardioid stereo pair)
- Shure Beta 98HC clip on mic (great for horns/sax's etc...)
- ZOOM H4N portable multitrack digital recorder
- Numerous mic boom's and stands
The updated mobile rig. Up to 28 channel's of high quality simultaneous recording and a 24 channel redundant backup recorder.
The mobile rack. Top rack incorporates a 20 amp Furman power conditioner, RME Digiface ADAT audio interface (56 channel/96k), 2 Focusrite Octopre II's, Steinberg MR816X. Lower rack houses an Alesis HD24XR direct to disk recorder, ART S8 8 channel transformer isolated mic splitter.
Custom built ADK 7600 digital audio laptop. Intel i7 dual core processor, 2.66 ghz, 8 gig ram, 500 gig hard drive, 17" screen. External 500 gig SATA hard drive for audio recordings, Windows 7 64 bit O/S, Cubase DAW software. Extremely quiet, cool running and blazing fast!
The Extended Monitoring Rack. This rack connects to the main system, via a single ADAT light pipe, and provides a power amp for running nearfield monitors as well as up to 12 high power headphone monitoring feeds (with multiple individual headphone mixes). It even provides an extra 8 channels of mic pre should the need arise.
The mobile rig packed up. Compact size, extremely powerful. Up to 24 channel's of live audio recording. Zero latency monitoring.
The mic collection (left to right, top to bottom). Shure SM57's, EV NDYM 457 dynamic, AKG D112 kick/bass mic, Shure SM58's, RODE NT5's (stereo pair), Cascade Fathead's (Stereo Pair), AKG C414 XL2's (Stereo Pair), AKG Perception 200 studio condensor, Sennheiser e914 condensor.
AKG C414 XL2. Matched stereo pair. Stunningly great sounding mic's.
Cascade Fathead 2 ribbon mic's. Matched stereo pair. Smooth sound.
A recent addition to the mic locker...a pair of Audio Technica AT4033 CL's. These large diaphragm condensers have become modern classics. Great sounding mic's!
AKG Perception 200 studio condensor mic.
AKG D112 kick drum/bass mic.
More recent additions to the mic locker, several lavalier mic's (great for discreet micing of various instruments...acoustic guitar, violins, horns etc... and an Audio Technica booundry mic. Great for placing inside pianos or at wall boundries of a room to get ambient sound with no phasing issues.
Studio Editing, Mixdown, Mastering System
- Custom built Intel i5/750 PC running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
- Quad core, 2.8 g/hz, 16 gig of high speed RAM
- 7 internal hard drives, three ultra high speed RAID 0 arrays (over 3 terabytes of ultra high speed hard disk storage)
- Dual video cards support up to 4 monitors
- Alesis HD24XR 24 track digital recorder with EC2 96kHz convertor upgrade
- RME Multiface audio interface
- RME Digiface ADAT lightpipe audio interface
- 2 Focusrite Octopre II mic preamp's
Steinberg MR816x 8 channel mic pre
- Novation 61 SL mk2 MIDI controller keyboard
KORG PadKontrol drum trigger pad
Steinberg CC121 hardware controller
- Lexicon LXP-15 reverb unit
Steinberg CUBASE 6, 64 bit digital audio recording software
- Steinberg WAVELAB mastering software
- Spectrasonics Omnisphere VST instrument
Spectrasonics Trillian bas VST instrument
- Native Instruments Scarbee J bass sample library
Native Instruments Komplete 8
- East West Quantum Leap Symphony Orchestra Gold symphonic sample player
- East West Quantum Leap Collossus sample player
- Steinberg Halion 1 software synthesizer
- BFD2 drum software with percussion expansion pack
Jamstix drum/percussion software
- Waves Mercury software effects plugin library
- Numerous additional softsynth and FX plugin's
- Multiple monitors..
- Dynaudio BM15a reference studio monitors
Tannoy PBM6.5 nearfield monitors
- Ascend Acoustics CBM 170 nearfield monitors
- HSU VTF2 Subwoofer
- Avantone Mixcubes